The Story of the Coupland Water Supply Corporation
When Coupland was first established in 1887, the lots were small and, since there was no available subsurface water, people relied upon what water was harvested off their roofs and if that was used up they had to buy water off a truck delivering water from Taylor or Elgin. As indoor plumbing became widespread, small individual septic systems were set up to handle waste water for each household.
In the mid 1950s, the residents of Coupland decided they needed a more dependable water supply and a water system was established using surface water captured in a large pond near FM 1466 just east of the railroad track. The water was then pumped to a water tower on top of the hill on Powell Street, treated, and then gravity fed throughout the town. This meant the residents of Coupland no longer had to depend on rain water harvested off of their roofs and usually had a plentiful supply of water available for use.
This original community water system was called Coupland Water Supply Corporation (CWSC). As the current Manville Water Supply Corporation became the major main water supply for the area, the Coupland community water supply was assumed by Manville and the CWSC name became inactive.
This increase in availability of water lead to people using more water than the original septic leach fields were designed to treat. By the late 1980s – early 1990s, sewer water from these small septic leach fields became more than the local clay soil could absorb leading, at times, to standing sewer water in places around the community. Being an unincorporated area within Williamson County, the county determined that this was an unhealthy public nuisance and secured a United States Department of Agriculture Rural Development Agency grant to initiate a community wide waste water collection and treatment system.
Thus, in 1995, a wastewater collection and treatment system was established and, as the Texas Natural Resources Conservation Commission required the word “water” be in the title for establishment of a Certificate of Convenience and Necessity (CCN), CWSC was adopted as the name for the system. The land for the treatment plant was donated by Bill Pfluger. Grant money and Williamson County built the system in 1996. The system went online in 1999. The first board members were: Bill Pfluger (President), Irene Florida (Vice President), Jim Huntington (Secretary), A.P. Patchke, and Tim Worthy.
After the system became operational, Williamson County gave the waste water system to CWSC to own and operate it as an independent non-profit organization, which it remains today. The system was designed to service just those households within what was then considered to be the town of Coupland and established that area as its CCN.
Past presidents of the CWSC are Bill Pfluger (1995-2000), Don Sommers (2000-2006), Jim Huntington (2006-2013), Martin Samuelson (2013-2016), and Wells Mason (2016-present).
Currently, the CWSC provides wastewater collection, treatment, and system maintenance for the approximate 100 households located within its CCN. Since it is totally separate and independent from the incorporated City of Coupland, it is solely and totally subscriber funded and self supporting. The CWSC does not receive any tax revenue from any source including both the city of Coupland and Williamson County. The operation of the CWSC is overseen by a volunteer board consisting of five voting members and the voting membership of the corporation consists of owners of property connected to the wastewater system within its CCN.